The table runner I am making for my grandmother for Christmas received some matching placemats today! Well, placemat tops at least. I still need to quilt them.
I do have a few little issues with the placemats though. First up is the size. Above is a regular, store-bought placemat on top of the one I made. See the difference? I'm hoping the quilting and a wash and dry will shrink them down a bit. Not that I have had the best luck with washing things lately...
Second up, I couldn't even make the two placemats the same size! I was using my 1/4" foot, but about halfway though the first placemat I realized my seams were not the scant 1/4" I always aspire to (though rarely accomplish) and were instead just slightly bigger than 1/4". So I started adjusting my sewing to get the right seam size. Of course, on the second placemat I did everything with this adjustment. Turns out those little 1/8ths of an inch can really add up! The placemats will be across the table from each other, so I think I will just trim the bigger one down and go with it. They are for my grandmother, she won't mind, right... :)
And one last shot of the placemats with the table runner.
Linking up to Finish It Up Friday over at CrazyMomQuilts.